Boldt Castle, a monument to true love.
George C. Boldt began building a magnificent castle on Heart Island in Alexandria Bay in 1900.
It was in token of his great love for his wife, Louise.
For four years George, Louise and their children spent their summers on Wellesley Island as the castle was being built.
No expense or detail was spared in it's construction.
Not being able to imagine his life there without his beloved, all construction was brought to a halt.
The beautiful but unfinished dream castle stood empty for 73 years, leaving it to the mercy of the elements and vandals.
In 1977 the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority purchased it and began renovations with the goal of finishing Boldt's legacy.
Tours are available to the public but we got there too late in the day to go.
Six buildings stand on Heart Island - Boldt Castle, the Power House, the Alster Tower, the Hennery, the Arch, and the stone Gazebo.
The 120 room castle is complete with tunnels, Italian Gardens, and even a drawbridge.