Monday, June 18, 2012

Letter From A Daughter To Her Dad

Dear Dad,
This year I bought a card for you, but the days slipped past and it never got mailed.
I tried to call you on the phone last night, but couldn't get through and then it was too late.
Now, here I am, the day after Father's Day, thinking of you and how very much you mean to me.

I want you to know how much I love you and how glad I am that you are my Dad. All my life you have been there for me, and that is huge. When I was a little girl you provided for me, kept food on the table and shoes on my feet, even though I'd have chosen much less practical ones at the time. You made sure I got the medical care I needed when I had my eye surgery. I remember at times how you got up in the night and comforted me. You were the first to teach me to appreciate good music like Scheherizade and The Sorcerer's Apprentice. You cared about me enough to tell my very first elementary teacher and the school principal to be firm on discipline if it was needed, so it never was. I loved going places with you like Yellow Creek and Martin's Beach. I loved riding on your back and dancing on your feet, but mostly, I love that you took me to church.
There are no words to express how my heart is full of love for you and gratitude for sharing with me your most precious possession, your testimony. You opened the door and introduced me to my Father in Heaven, allowing me to have a priceless relationship with Him as well, and you were never jealous.
You are the first man I ever loved. You showed me what it means to love by holding true to The Lord's way, working on being the best I can be and never quitting. I have seen through your actions how to stand in holy places no matter where you are, and to serve whenever and wherever possible. You never waste anything because you take seriously your stewardships. And you use your resources wisely.
I want to be like you, Dad. I want to be able to one day stand before my Heavenly Father and hear him say, "Well done, my beloved and faithful servant".     
So, in spite of my unmailed card and my unanswered call, I want to tell you Happy Father's Day and I love you, Dad; always and forever.
Now, this very afternoon, I was able to talk to my Dad on the phone and I read him this letter. I'm so glad.

No comments: