Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Tribute From A Son To His Father

Our oldest son, Sam wrote this on his blog on September 11th 2009:
"As I've thought about this topic, it occurred to me how much T.V. shapes our lives, for better or for worse. I'm thinking about some of the programs that have been my favorites over the years and what lessons I learned from each one.
Stat Trek- "Space, the Final Frontier..." These words were as much a part of my childhood as church. And almost as sacred. No talking during church, and no talking during Star Trek, unless it was a commercial. Episodes of the original series still remind me of my dad. My dad was handsome and cool, like Captain Kirk, smart like Spock, witty (and sometimes a little irritable, though not as much) like Dr. McCoy. _And then there was Scotty, "I'm giving her all she's got Capt'n. But she can't take much more of this!"
That's my father, through and through. I watched my dad work hard for his family, "givin' her all she's got" to keep his wife and kids out of harm's way. I remember times he worked three jobs at once. I remember watching him bundle up like an Eskimo in several sweaters and the best coat he had and ride his bike into downtown Ogden, Utah in the brutal cold of winter to work over nights at the radio station, after spending his day studying at Weber State College and working at whatever the other job was he had at the time. I remember thinking that, surely, he "can't take much more of this."
I didn't appreciate my dad's hard work at the time. I'm not sure I fully appreciate it now. But, I do know this...the USS Enterprise never carried a better hero than my dad."

I too am grateful for the love, service and sacrifice David has given our family. At 16 I created a list of important qualities I was looking for in a future husband. There were only 2 things on that list. I wanted someone who was truly temple worthy, and I wanted someone who loved kids and would make a great father. David has measured up to those qualities in every way. Happy Father's Day to my Mr. Right. I love you, David.

No comments: