Wednesday, October 28, 2009

From Amaleki - more than just the Record Keeper

In the book of Omni verse 26, in the Book of Mormon, there is a little-known record keeper named Amaleki. He is the one who delivered the sacred records into the hands of King Benjamin. His writings are few, (only 18 verses total), however he has written a powerful message of hope to all who seek perfecting. He says, "...come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth, ye will be saved."
What a relief to know that we are not required to run faster than we are able and that in spite of the fact that the "natural man", or "worldly man" is an enemy to God, I like knowing that there is a tangible guideline for just how to accomplish this and that it IS within reach. Actually, it is rather simple and nothing more or less than taking upon ourselves the sacred ordinance of baptism (and temple covenants when the time comes), and then striving to always remember Him, renewing our covenants weekly and truly repenting daily.

1 comment:

Hanaike House said...

Okay, if you are in the book of Omni for seminary then I am way behind. I've decided that while I sit with the kids in the detention room at my school I will give myself seminary lessons. I have the manuel (from when I taught Julia & Hillary home seminary) and am really enjoying it. I am only in second Nephi however, and am struggling a little with Isaiah. But I'm sure I'll get there. Thanks for all your insights - it really adds to my seminary experience.