Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fantasia 1940

My Father was 7 years old when he saw the Disney movie "Fantasia" for the first time. It wasn't exactly a box office hit, but Dad fell in love! With him, Mr. Disney accomplished what he had set out to do, which was to educate by bringing the ultimate in classic music appreciation to everyday folks. As I say, most didn't buy into it, a full-length movie with no spoken word, but there was classical music in our house from as far back as I can remember. Richard and I would hear the music begin, head to the dining room, and he would tell us the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was only 9 minutes long but to me, it was magical, and has become such a memory! He knew exactly what was happening with every fanfare and cymbal crash. And we could see in our own mind's eye, a broom come to life as the Bassoon tiptoed into action. We were spellbound.
So now, these many years later, I have gone to Disneyland and brought back a prize! That sorcerer's hat. And I fully intend to find the rest of the wardobe to complete the costume.

No comments: