Friday, February 18, 2011

The Train Ride Home

I left Salt Lake at 11:30 PM and in less than 24 hrs, there was so much snow that it made me wonder, as we passed through the Truckie area so close to the steep hillside, what it would be like to experience an avalanche!

There were two older men who told stories over the speaker of the local history - very interesting! And there was also a couple who had traveled from Back East who decided to get off the train in this little town where they didn't know anyone but just wanted to explore. Their destination was Emmeryville, Ca., where they planned on turning right back around and taking the train home, just to see and learn more about our beautiful country. What a cool vacation!

The snow reminded me of Christmas. There were young mallards swimming down the stream that flowed alongside the tracks, lots of tunnels. and pleasant attendants and travelers. Considering that it took 8+ hours more to get home than it would have to drive, I was glad to be able to get up and walk around when I wanted to and that the seats were warm and much more comfortable than the bus would have been.
I think I like Amtrak.

1 comment:

Hanaike House said...

Glad you had a good, safe journey home. My daughters have started taking this train alot too, coming home. When Hillary took it in December she took some beautiful pictures of her scenery as well.