Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Difference Between Mashed Potatoes

I am not a fan of Hawaiian food. I think most people who are not native islanders aren't either, as evidenced by the scarcity of Hawaiian restaurants. But while in Oahu, I learned that the word "poi" simply means "mash", be what it may. Sometimes poi is made from the taro root but not always. The poi I tasted at the Polynesian Cultural Center was Hawaiian sweet potato. It was lavender, a bit runny, and not seasoned, but because sweet potatoes are one of my favorites, I didn't think it was too bad.While at the PCC we had dinner at the Gateway. It's a buffet that offers a few Hawaiian selections but caters mostly to mainland tastes. I tried the purple sweet potato salad and thought it delicious.
So, how important are seasonings? One could pity the fact that the scintillating flavors and scents from the Spice Islands just never made it far enough north or, more likely, the explorers didn't think these islanders had anything worth trading.
While poi gets a bad rap because it is rather flavorless, how would our own beloved mashed potatoes be without milk, butter and salt? Perhaps the islands' salt water is enough salt for them, and they are a much healthier people for not using dairy products, but this is a topic for another day.

No comments: