Monday, July 13, 2009

Seven Things About Me?

I have been tagged by Suzanne! I hope you know, Suz, that my comment to your tag was meant all in good fun!
So I have to write 7 less-known facts about myself. Hmmmmm, let's see.....

1. I had surgery on my left eye at Stanford when I was 6 years old. I had my 6th birthday in the hospital. They removed a "sack" or membrane containing several cancers! This growth was pushing my eyeball out and blocking my vision.

2. When I was in elementary school in San Francisco, I belonged to a group of friends, both boys and girls, who were all different races. There was only one other white person. To this day it feels abnormal to be in an all white community.

3. I played the flute for 10 years in school and I still play for fun!

4. I am still working on overcoming being afraid of heights. I'm not quite as bad as I used to be.

5. Doing the dishes is my least favorite chore and laundry is my favorite. I love the smell of clean clothes!

6. I graduated from high school a year early. I'd like everyone to think it was because I was so smart! But actually, it was because I had enough credits from going to summer school for three summers. I didn't go because of grades, I went at Norma's insistence. I spent my college year in band and in the practice rooms playing music. I taught myself piano and I also attempted alto sax, but it was a blast!!!

7. I love to learn new crafts and skills. When I was very young, about 10, I made my first loaf of bread without being taught, and mostly successfully. I have made cheese, and lye soap, and done needlepoint, cross stitch and loom knitting. I taught myself to play the ukelele and guitar as a teenager. I once sewed my children pajamas and I also made a baby girl outfit for Suzanne. I took a class in cake decorating so that I could do my own borders and came up with a marbled rainbow swirl design of my own. Letters were molded in chocolate and placed over the swirls so I could include a message. Now I sew pillowcases, make tile board pictures and write my own recipes. When we were in Hawaii I photographed flowers and since then I have observed others' photography and have been wanting to try my hand at using different angles and lighting for special effects. It's fun to think "outside of the box"!

Alright, that's about it for me for now. This was actually kind of fun! Now, who can I tag?????

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

See what an interesting person you are? Awesome. Thanks for playing tag! It's so fun.

Yeah, some people don't appreciate getting tagged and don't like to do them. So I just had to clarify. =)

Hanaike House said...

Yeah, where have you been now? Your blog misses you! Or I should say your blog readers miss you. Hope all is well.