Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Swim Lessons

Remember when you were a little kid and your parents signed you up for swimming lessons? When I went girls had to wear a "swimming cap" which was a fitted rubber cap that you put on your head to keep pool drains from becoming clogged with long hair. I guess they have since realized that sometimes boys' hair is longer than some girls'.

Anyway, I remember my dad wanting me and Richard to be able to swim in a big way with his love of the ocean and skin diving, etc.. I wanted him to be so proud of me; I was such a daddy's girl! But even back then I grew satisfied with the basics and soon became ready to move on to something else. I never have been an accomplished swimmer but I'm okay with that. I am actually rather proud of the fact that I can do a fair job at many things rather than being an expert at only one or two! I suppose that, to me it would be boring (and too much work!).

So today I got to observe swim lessons as a grown up. I was invited to watch little Lilly Brown, 5 years old, as she bravely followed the instructions of her teacher. She could put her head underwater all the way, and she practiced kicking, putting her hands over her head and pushing herself forward "rocket style", and using her hands like ice cream scoops. Everyone clapped as each child followed their leader. It can be scary to float with your legs out strait instead of bending your waist or knees! We were so proud that Lilly was able to do the daring new things she was asked to do. This was faith in action. I am reminded that I want to be more like her when the Lord asks me to do something new or hard. I want to become like that little child.

1 comment:

Becky said...

just saying hello and i remember having a little swim cap. it was yellow. not as cute as the girls in the picture - but cute enough. of course, being a tomboy and having short hair...i abhorred it and took it as the greatest of all insults. becky