Thursday, July 9, 2009

Extraordinary Friendship

What else do you call it when a friend is on the phone with you, you are talking about hustling to get ready for company just after other company was here (while you were away), and they are bringing someone with them who has always been a gracious hostess to you, and they offer to come and help you and really mean it?
I called Celeste to see where on the road home they were and she said she, the girls and Ruby would be here the next day for lunch. She also said peanut butter, but I couldn't settle for that. I said chicken salad, and I had only 24 hours to plan, clean house, shop, cook and shower. I wasn't satisfied with just chicken salad either. My mind wandered into adding things like broccoli salad and Hawaiian Shortcake which would be, of course, pineapple/coconut that I would have to adapt a recipe for. I had unrealistic allusions of grandeur that I ended up trimming way down, thankfully.
My friend not only came and vacuumed my carpet and swept the kitchen but when I realized I didn't have the car keys, she gave me food from her own cupboard! Thanks to her I had green onions for my chicken salad, and fresh-from-her-garden tomatoes, and for Paige and Abbie she brought, you guessed it, peanut butter! There is truly no better fare than that given with love; more importantly, there is no greater friend. Thank you, Melinda. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

True friends are awsome! I am glad that you have such a great friend.