Friday, July 3, 2009

The Spirit of Salt Lake

There is a spirit about Salt Lake City that is undeniable. I feel it every time I go there so I sort of looked for it as we were waiting for our transfer flight to LAX. This sweet feeling was inspiring.
There were families, businessmen, couples and singles, people everywhere. While we ate breakfast in Burger King we sat near a group of nine young adults who couldn't have been much over 18. This group did nothing to stand out or bring attention to themselves which was why I noticed them. They were unique, even peculiar in this worldly world. I saw no tattoos or body piercings. They were dressed in modest clothing, and I heard no loudness or swearing. They clearly enjoyed each other's company but did it in such a wholesome way I couldn't help but be impressed.
While I acknowledge that there is no such thing as a perfect place to live and raise kids, there is something worth pointing out about teaching correct princples and that it does "take a village". Our young 9 neighbors had no idea I was watching them. They had no way of knowing what I was thinking or feeling, but they were the model of righteous living, even in an airport.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. The world really does need more people like that. People who don't need the approvel of the outside world, they can just be themselves. That is very cool.