Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Spice Of Life

In answer to, where was the favorite place he'd ever traveled, Gus Pike said, the Spice Island". He said you could "smell 'er on the sea".
Well, I may not be into really spicy food but the spices of the holidays are true favorites of mine, so much so that they aren't limited by season at our house. My Grandma Shipp traditionally made my Grandpa his favorite spice cake for his birthday in February, and I share his passion!
Cinnamon is among our most adored and beloved spices. For me, it's even a necessity. I love to make a Cinnamon Bundt Cake and top it with apple filling and whipped cream ~ a cold weather version of strawberry shortcake ~ Winter Apple Shortcake! (But I make it in the summer as well).
Another favorite is Spiced Caramel Popcorn, with Cinnamon, Allspice and Nutmeg (or mace). YUM! Those spice brothers create a delicious family of flavor!
And last night we made Cinnamon Ornaments with Suzanne and her great kids! They are drying at her house right now and I can hardly wait to bring some home and fill up my house with that tantalizing aroma!
P.S. The Spice Island is Zanzibar which is in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of southeastern Africa.
~ Cinnamon is found in Sri Lanka, an island just south of India, between the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal.
~ Nutmeg grows on the Banda Islands, in Indonesia, also in the Indian Ocean.
~ Allspice is almost a local. It's South American, or Caribbean.

No comments: