Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pajama Pants And Television

I didn't do much at the trauma center but rest. I visited with family and friends a bit, had tests done, had a couple of surgeries (bone transplant along with some wires, and a halo put on), had tubes put in, had tubes taken out, and, well, you know, all the stuff they do in hospitals.
But after they took me to Healthsouth, I started doing more for myself. There are a couple of things that take me back there and help me to sort through it with the kindest remembrances, though.
1. I learned to love wearing pajama pants, which was something I never thought I'd like to do. But I've found them to be warm, soft and comforting. (And modest.)
2. I watched Pride and Predjudice many times since I already loved it so much and it was the featured movie for the month of June. I also had some fun remembering shows like Bonanza and The Andy Griffith Show. Saturdays were the most boring days of all since there was no physical therapy and no church, so once again I watched tv. But on Saturday I could watch shows about how to make the best pizza in the world, travel, mythbusters and reality shows, although there is some reality I don't care to repeat by watching it on the screen.
Now, watching some of these things on tv and wearing pajama pants have become a way for me to be able to feel comforted even more than usual. I guess they have become dear because the people from those places are dear to me and I may never see most of them again. It allows me to go back to a time where I felt surrounded by extraordinary caring and attention which was so important for healing. There is something to be said for finding ways to bring yourself out of the stresses of life and into healthy relaxation and I have mine.

No comments: