Sunday, May 15, 2011

Remember

One year ago tomorrow, at approximately 11 AM on a peaceful Sunday morning traveling home from visiting our kids in Utah, I fell asleep while driving the car and we had our car accident. The car rolled 4 1/2 times, stopping upside down where I was pinned for about 40 minutes. I was rescued by skilled paramedics who carefully cut the car and lifted me out and into the ambulance where recovery began.
As I've thought about what I could write on this anniversary of mine, I found myself wanting to remember how it takes time to heal. One day, when it's all truly behind me, I want to remember this with compassion when I see others struggling.
I already have most of the feeling back in my face and the loss of feeling in my head may completely return. The scars on my hand, arm, hip and neck will eventually fade. The pains I get in my hip and the several places on my head, and the extra sensitivity on my skin even when the wind blows my hair, may subside. My energy may increase, the dizziness and spots before my eyes may go away altogether, and one day I might be able to turn my head without any pain or stiffness. Yes, these things may someday be gone, but I don't want to forget.
So yesterday when I was milling these thoughts around in my mind, I had a casual conversation with the young lady who cut my hair. She mentioned that my scar would show if she cut my hair very short, and that's where the subject of the accident came up. She told me that her father-in-law was in an accident like mine a few years ago. She said he had to wear a halo and then a neck brace. But she said that he was fully awake when they took him from the car and he panicked. He moved his head. That's all. He moved his head. And because he moved, he caused greater damage to his injuries and now he's a quadriplegic with no feeling from his neck down. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that really, there is so much more for me to remember than my little physical scars.
The chief message of the Book of Mormon is to "REMEMBER". To remember the Lord our God, to keep His commandments in order to show our gratitude for His goodness towards us and His many blessings. Yes, to always remember Him. So today of all days, this Sabbath Day, I want to recommit to showing my gratitude by making a greater effort to be obedient, and "to be a little kinder", more charitable, as President Hinckley admonished us on several occasions. I want to make my life one that was worth saving.

No comments: