Friday, May 20, 2011

Still Celebrating Life

I suppose we all take a turn asking ourselves, asking God, that ageless and universal question, "Why me?" Only this time I'm asking because when we were in our car accident we were protected. We not only survived but remained here with good quality of life ahead. But last week, Gary White, the eldest son of Carol and Curt White, died in a motorcycle accident. So my question then, is "Why was he taken while we remain?" Today is the funeral. I will meet Gary's family. He is survived by his wife and children. He will miss being here for the day-to-day activities as well as the big events. I know how it feels to miss our little Garret's birthday party, Graduation Day for my Seminary Class, an Eagle Court of Honor, spending quality time with family and several other events that were very important to me. How I ached to be there with them but I was in the hospital.
People will say at times like this that "We don't know why. It was just their time to go." But I find comfort in Gospel teachings and my own brush with death. And actually, we do know why.
We know that this life is not the end, that it continues almost without interruption, as we move to another place. I was able to see that because the judgement day isn't upon us, the Spirit World is simply another school, with some teachers, and some students. Heavenly Father wants us back! For the benefit of our progression, sometimes going there can be more effective than being here. After all, we still have the agency to accept or reject. Or maybe it is for us to teach.
Our Father in Heaven has a great, and warm heart! He loves us so very much that he gives us experiences that will bring us to Him. Death is one of those experiences. He also always works in multiples, meaning that there is always more than one reason for the trials/blessings in our lives, with trials actually being the greater of the blessings.
We also know that those who have gone before us, and those who are coming later, can and do come here to help us. We receive valuable blessings from those on the other side of the veil, so they aren't altogether taken from us.
With the Millennium still to come, we will have marriages taking place and the raising of children going on, and in the very BEST of circumstances! Imagine raising children in a place where you don't have to lock your doors, where they will never get sick in the night, and no one will tempt them with evil. Truly a reward for any who haven't married yet or had children of their own!
I miss my Grandmas. They have all passed away. But I lovingly think of them, knowing that they can see me, hear me, and visit me at anytime. I never feel alone, I feel loved. I never feel spied on, I feel supported. I know I fall short and that they are aware of it, but that they understand and are there to help strengthen me, helping me to do better.
It's a grand and glorious plan! I'm so grateful that I know these truths. And so, even though today we will gather in mourning, our sweet Heavenly Father will bind the broken-hearted, and gather His little ones to Him, if they will come.

No comments: