Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baptism Day

When I was 7 years old I was an angel for Halloween. Unlike the "angel" in the picture I didn't have wings, but instead, across the yoke, written in gold was "Li'l Angel Child". I loved that costume and once Halloween was over I got to wear it to bed.
The following February I celebrated my 8th birthday, so I was very excited. Jumpsuits may or may not have been available but I wanted a dress, so my Grandma sewed white fabric over the words on my angel costume and I was baptized in it.
Most child baptisms are on Saturday, and so was mine. One of my friends, Janet Bellamy, was having her 8th birthday party on that very day. I had invited her to my baptism but instead, she had her party and I remember being disappointed at leaving the party early so that I would be on time for my baptism. But I also remember thinking I was lucky to be able to be baptized. Actually, I was baptized 3 times. My hair kept coming up out of the water, but the third time was the charm!
Another couple of interesting facts about my baptism: 1. I was interviewed by Bishop Chandler, my father-in-law (future of course!), who was our bishop at that time; and 2. I was confirmed on the date of my first child's birth, March 4th.

1 comment:

Patty said...

What a special way to remember your baptism!
That is really cool that your father-in-law was your bishop at such a young age.