Monday, September 21, 2009

Little Purple Pansies

Of all the flowers I have ever known, and I'm sure I don't know them all, I love daisies and daffodils. They are beautiful without being too fragile, strong enough without looking sturdy. And they are cheerful and invite a sunny disposition.

Then we have the pansies. Richard and I once sang a song in Primary, in front of everyone, called "Little Purple Pansies". I remember practicing for this performance of sorts. Grandma would remind us to look up so as not to sing at the floor, and to sing out.
Primary used to be on Tuesday afternoons. It was a bit of an activity day with gospel lessons. On Sunday we went to Junior Sunday School and had gospel lessons again but this time it was a more spiritual setting. Anyway, the reason for bringing this up is because I just want to mention that David and Lloyd Chandler sang "Davey Crockett"!

Some of the pansies Grandma grew in the back yard were little miniature flowers, which I adored because they were so small. Richard and I used to pick them so we could take Grandma a bouquet. She had a little tiny vase for the little tiny flowers;
Mmmm, such a sweet memory...
"Little purple pansies touched with yellow gold,
Growing in one corner of the garden old,
We are very tiny but must try, try, try,
Just one spot to gladden you and I."

No comments: