Friday, September 4, 2009

The World Through Grandma's Eyes

As I've said before, I lived with Grandma Shipp from the time I was three years old until I was nine. These were the happiest years; you know how grandmas are. And while mankind may see them as just old grownups, my grandma was a refuge from the storms in my life. She was soft and kind but like a mother bear with her cubs, she was a defender! We know she loved us completely.
She had a bond with nature that she shared with
me and Richard. Her influence was real as we
picked blackberries together up on the hill behind Sandra's house. And when we walked to school she would point out different trees and flowers. The sky seemed to be her favorite, though, because she often brought to our attention a beautiful moon or the clouds or a spectacular sunset. Grandma appreciated the world and God's creations and I am glad she taught us to do the same.
Last night as I was driving west, I noticed a gorgeous sunset - a red sun with an equally red flaming sky all around. Then I noticed in the rear-view mirror a striking contrast. The sky was hazy, cool blue and the chalk moon reflected light from the sun but none of its flame. Such a startling difference for the same sky, on the same night and at the same time! I got a real kick out of it and I know my Grandma would have, too.
I think about her and how grateful I am for everything she taught me in the all-too-short six years I got to spend living in her house. I miss her. I miss her singing, her story-telling about "the olden days", reading nursery rhymes, letting us help cook dinner, saying bed-time prayers, gathering us up and giving us hugs and kisses. At moments like these, all was right in the world. Because of her, the harshness of some of life's realities have been made bearable and life, more beautiful. Thank God for Grandmas.

No comments: