Monday, August 16, 2010

Random Things I Don't Want To Forget About The Accident

- Part of my face is numb, about the size of my fist. The area is just on the left side of my nose and goes from my eye down to my upper lip. It's like the novocaine hasn't worn off, or, like there's something on my face.
- I feel disconnected from my body because I can't look down and see myself. Since I have to keep my head in this upward position, I have to look in a mirror.
- I'm grateful for hospital gowns and cut T-shirts that come between me and the lambs wool lining on the vest portion of my halo. At first I developed a terrible allergic rash. A couple of weeks before I got the halo off, someone I never saw dropped off 2 thin foam liners to replace the fur. That also greatly helped me endure the Summer temperature.
- I miss familiar food. And pain pills are nauseating. It's so hard to eat, even when hungry. Capsules of herbs also add to the nausea, but I'm making myself take the 25 BF&C, 2X a day with meals. I want to do my part to facilitate a quicker recovery.
- My room mates have been wonderful! 1. Rusty Snow; We laughed and cried together as we shared our stories. She was also in a car accident. She flew home to Seattle after I was there only 3 days. 2. Kathy Herrera was here almost 2 weeks and we got along so well. When she went home to her mother's in Winemucca I was happy she got to go but sad because I knew I'd miss her. We became sisters as we looked out for each other. 3. Peggy was my last room mate. Her husband spent much of the day with her and we didn't get to know each other quite as well, but I enjoyed her company.
- They come and change the dressing on my hip (the bone graft site) almost daily. I sure hope it doesn't delay my ability to go home, but I also don't want to have to run to the doctor for it either.

No comments: