Thursday, April 21, 2011

About What The Doctor Ordered... ?

When I was 5 years old I had a non-malignant tumor removed from behind my left eye. It was called "plastic surgery" and took place at Stanford University. The operation was successful and I am ever grateful. As a result though, I have no feeling on the left side of my forehead back to the crown of my head. After our car accident I had a "halo" connected to my forehead by that left eye. After the halo was taken off, as healing took place a tumor formed, which was removed with out-patient surgery several months ago.
About 4-5 weeks ago I started having headaches, again on the left side of my head. Without normal nerve endings there, I have only been able to tell because I can feel pain around the area and down inside my head. Tylenol didn't help so I went to the doctor.
I love my new doctor. He is very kind and it's obvious that he genuinely cares about his patients. He's prescribed 2 different pain medications that have given no relief so he ordered a CT scan which, I'm happy to say, came back clear of any major causes. The headaches are simply part of being in the car accident. Now another pain reliever has been ordered and I'm again faced with the decision of whether or not to try this drug. One might say, "Why, of course you must take these pills. The doctor prescribed them for you and he knows best." But I have a responsibility to myself as well.
In addition to extreme cautions about how to take this drug, there are some pretty major side effects possible. They include dizziness (I already have dizziness which I treat with herbs), blurred vision (I already am seeing spots), the risk of suicidal tendencies, depression, panic attacks, trouble with concentration, hostility and aggressive behavior, and this is only a small sampling. Plus you have to stop taking them gradually to help avoid these side effects.
If I were to decide not to take this new prescription, what would I do instead?
I have an herbal gel that relieves pain very effectively, even migraines, which is what the doctor says these headaches are. He said to avoid stress, so I am going to try some deep tissue therapeutic massage between my shoulders and in my neck. I'm also going to use lavender and possibly peppermint aromatherapy. The doctor also ordered a return to physical therapy once a week which I will do.
I don't mean to be rebellious or careless with my health - quite the opposite. I just can't see risking those side effects when I have some pretty good alternatives to try first. I'm grateful to have a diagnosis. With major issues ruled out, and knowing that I'm faced with daily migraines perhaps for the rest of my life, I need to do what I can to be responsible for my own health. I'm grateful that I can't feel the full thrust of the pain. Who knew that that would become such a blessing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I am getting headaches now also, and never have before. Quite severe for me. Could you tell me what herbal gel you use? I see the picture, but cannot read past the 'seasource'. Also, the lavender and peppermint are just aromas?
I hope you feel better as time goes by.
Thanks,
Becky

Donna said...

Hi Becky,
The Seasource gel is from Arbonne - bought from a distributor, not found in stores. I've used it for other pain and it's very effective. Friends have told me how they've had remarkable success with migraines using a tiny bit of gel rubbed into their temples at the onset of the headache. It can take up to an hour or more to get full results. Since I can't feel it in the beginning, I'm going to routinely use it at least twice a day as a preventive. It's a large 12 oz. jar and it's $50 but will last for a very long time and nothing I'm aware of works like it.
As for the aromatherapy, my Aunt Virginia is a Young Living distributor and the little bottle pictured is from that company. I chose that picture because Young Living is a highly reputable company with superior products. They are also expensive but you get what you pay for! :) Sometimes people go to the health food store for essential oils and then when they don't work they don't believe aromatheray to be on the level. But really, the brand they purchased wasn't a good quality. I'm new at this so I'm still learning what oils are acceptable. I don't know about other brands yet but I do know that it's not just the scent.
Thank you for your well wishes and I extend the same to you. You can probably find Arbonne online. I sure hope you find some relief. I wish you lived closer, I'd give you some of mine.
Take Care,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information!
Becky