Sunday, April 10, 2011

It Takes A Village

As I observed the kids who came to Chandler's birthday party I saw how well behaved and sweet they all were, both church members and non-church members. I found myself pondering how so very many people contribute to who we become and I hoped each of those children would not succumb to the worldly temptations ahead.
I got to substitute teach in Primary a couple of weeks ago and was impressed by how much those 3 year olds knew about the Holy Ghost. I had them draw what they thought the Holy Ghost looked like and Ella Fiagle said, "He's a man." Ginny Brown said, "He's a good guy!" Our little Adam is also in that class. He didn't have to say anything at all for me to know that he, along with the other kids were building onto the things they had already learned at home and at church. 10 year old Chandler was the first to bear his testimony today in Sacrament Meeting. He talked about how it took faith on his part to be able to complete his fast of breakfast and lunch. He also mentioned the importance of standing and bearing your testimony because as you share it, it grows. Other testimonies born today came from Primary children and youth, and some of my now-all-grown-up Seminary students. What would we do without faithful parents, teachers, friends, family and ward family to be a stalwart and steady support on which to rely? With each of us doing our part, our children are able to grow up with the best chance available for success in this life. Even when children make wrong choices or suffer because of the wrong choices of others, having that firm foundation is essential to helping them find their way in an imperfect world.

As I watch our youth graduate from high school and go out into the world I see that they go with the glow of righteousness that will show others the way and help save souls. I feel grateful to be blessed to live within the safety of The Gospel Village, for the strength I receive every day, and for the blessings my children have received and still do receive both for themselves as well as their children.
It's a perfect plan. I hope and pray that with each of us doing our part to share the Gospel, we'll be able to help children everywhere to enjoy the kind of wholesomeness that I observed at Chandler's party, for their entire lives.

No comments: