Saturday, August 8, 2009

Not to Worry

On the very first day of my life a magical thing happened - Peter Pan was released to theaters all over the land! I have always felt a bit drawn to the idea of not growing up, at least where the heart is concerned, and so we share.
On another day, many years later, I was on my way to work at Dutcher School and running up to the minute. I was riding a bicycle with my little 6 year old, Mark, beside me on his bicycle, when he announced he had forgotten his backpack! There being absolutely no way that I could accompany him home, I reminded him of the route (all the time my heart was aching with concern for his safety). We had only practiced biking to school several times and I wasn't altogether convinced he would remember it, but he assured me he could. So I reluctanly hurried in my direction while my young son went his and I began to plead with the Lord for the welfare and protection of my child.
With tears running down my face, I suddenly felt the comfort of the Spirit as I thought of Bambi when he lost his mother to a hunter. In my mind, I saw Bambi searching and calling out, "Mother? Mother, where are you?" Then, on the top of a cliff high above him, where he could see for many miles, was his Father, who said, "Your mother can't be with you anymore", after which he assured HIS son that he would be alright and He would be there, always watching out for him. This was the very thing I needed to be able to calm my heart and put my trust in our Heavenly Father.
As each of my children have moved on and away from where I could "be there for them", I have thought of that day on the street, halfway between home and school. Growing up is a rewarding and satisfying experience, and just knowing our Father is there for us is what allows us to grow up without " growing old" . I am forever grateful.

No comments: