Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Okay, okay, so how did it go Saturday... ?

Every story has to have an ending, right? I mean, is it fair to leave people in the middle of things? Because the very thought of neglecting the last report is like leaving off the final note or knock, I'm here to tell you that the workshop on Saturday went well. My class was very well attended, 55 total from two presentations, which goes to show that object lesson ideas are in as high demand by others as they are by me! Ha!
I opened up by giving the example of the professor who offered chocolate cake to a "volunteer" and then threw the whole thing at him as an illustration of why, no matter how good the gospel is, we can't expect our listener to eat all of its teachings in one huge bite! (This was really done at Ricks College with Suzanne in the class! But I, personally, have never had the, whatever it takes, to actually use it.) And with this little story to help jog their memories, class members shared their favorite object lesson experiences.
Then we talked about the various "objects" on display, used a few stories from Grandma Faith (You can google her site . ...Some great ones if you have the time to look.)
They really liked the wrapped box with no bottom. I explained that the gospel is a great and wonderful gift, then I lifted the "package" to reveal a 9x9 clear pyrex with an upside-down glass in it and a pitcher of "living" water. As I poured the water on the bottom of the inverted glass my seminary students thought I hadn't noticed and proceeded to warn me, but as they calmed down I reminded them that if our hearts are not right, we will not be able to receive.
They also got a kick out of Mission Impossible. Dave e-mailed me the music and the instructions as attachments and we were able to forward a Book of Mormon version of understanding Isaiah to all who wanted it, just like we used last year for understanding the book of Revelation. (see earlier post) I can't use it this year because I have some of the same students - too bad.
The workshop was fun to do, but I'm glad it's done. I got some new ideas of my own, but, for those of you who read from my class, I'll not be a-tellin'!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oops...sorry, but the chocolate cake thing was actually only told to me, not demonstrated in my class. And I'm pretty sure it was Brother Liston,in seminary! who told us the story. Still--so awesome. It also goes to show that even though what you have to give someone is good and desirable, if you present it in the wrong way they will resent it and want nothing to do with it (missionary work).

I LOVE the upside down cup. Great stuff! I'm glad everything went well. Yay!

Donna said...

Well, in spite of the mistake, it made a great story!! lol

Bart and Kellie said...

Donna - I'm sorry, I didn't get your comment on our ward blog (Somerset Ward in Las Vegas) until this afternoon. I hope your sister-in-law got help alright, and made it home safe. I'm the enrichment counselor and we are on summer hiatus with our enrichment activities so I haven't been posting on the blog, and only check when the comments get emailed to me. Glad you like our blog, I need to get better at updating it more! Hope everything worked out, and again, Sorry we couldn't be of help. Kellie