Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Obedience, the first law of Heaven

Today in Seminary we covered 1st Nephi 1-3. Our discussion included obedience and the attitude with which we either obey or we don't. Two sets of brothers who grew up together with the same parents, similar experiences and like opportunities grew up to be so vastly different because of all-too-common choices each of us makes on a daily basis; choices like to argue or ask, to complain or consider, to judge maliciously or be just mercifully - and sometimes to disobey or obey simply because we were asked.
Simple obedience is something that must be taught from the time we are very young. If not, children get burned, run into the street, etc., so at those times the idea of obedience for obedience's sake is a gift and explanations are a luxury not affordable.
From the time I was 3 years old until I was 9 I lived with my father, my brother, Richard, and my Grandparents. My Grandma Shipp was the dearest and kindest person I ever knew. She explained many of life's important lessons to me, like how we should treat others if we want to have friends, and that when we are disciplined it is because we are loved. She believed in explanations and because of this, we learned that we could trust her when there was no time to explain. We knew she loved us enough to "tell it straight".
I am privileged to teach seminary to a group who are learning to make the best choices every day, and it is up to us to tell it straight. Fortunately their parents (guardians) also level with them, teaching correct principles. Like Nephi and Sam, their hearts are opened to truth and they are coming to seminary to strengthen testimonies along with their resolve to be their best. I know kids are kids but these really are part of a "chosen generation"; chosen because of their choices.

No comments: