Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Beatles were right

"Love, love, love. Love is all you need." Why we feel what we feel, and live where we live, and are what we are is, to a large degree, the sum total of what we choose, and we choose what we set our hearts on. This alone is a good place to start when we want to self-evaluate or simply catch a breath.
Knowing that sometimes we may get caught up in the confusion, if we take a moment to think instead of rushing through life, our true priorities can re-surface, and hopefully, straiten us out.
Confession: Sometimes I can be a church-work junkie. I can lose myself totally in projects that are related to my callings; like right now I am working on 20 tileboards that will be gifts for my seminary students on the last day of class, plus put together a "Mission Impossible" type set of lessons for understanding the book of Revelation, plus have the Elders over for dinner, and get ready for our seminary class auction and breakfast for the last 2 days of seminary in two weeks. I mean well but I think sometimes it may be in part, an escape from doing chores.
Remember the story of the Grasshopper and the Ants; how the grasshopper played his music all summer long while the ants worked, and when it got cold, the queen ant reluctantly led the foolish grasshopper in and fed him in exchange for some music and dance?
Sometimes, I am the grasshopper.
It's not that I want to neglect other things or people who are important to me, I just need to self-evaluate to make sure I tend to all my responsibilities. Balance is a good thing. We all need to spread that love around!
So now that I am back home and finding myself avoiding everyday chores, I am reminding myself that love is the reason I really do want to get in there and do those dishes.

No comments: