Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ah, how sweet it is!

Last night before I left for the airport, Suzanne's ward had an "Ohana Night". Of course, most people know from the movie "Lilo and Stitch", that the word "ohana" means family. This particular ohana night was in honor of Mother's Day, which is tomorrow.
Attending this event was, for me, better than going to a Luau because the food was authentic homemade pot luck rather than commercial, so it was what the local families really eat. There was also a program that we were able to see some of that featured a little girl about 7-8 years old doing a beautiful hula, and a family who sang in Hawaiian as the father played the ukelele.
This kind of trip is the only way to travel. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to stay in a hotel, run from one tourist trap to another, eat restaurant food, drink bottled water, rent a car only to get lost trying to follow a map for an entire week or two, then needing to get home in order to rest from our vacation! Instead, this has been like really living here for two weeks.
And what a beautiful way to end such a sweet visit with my family on Oahu. It was just a simple Ohana Night with the families from their ward, a typical ward social with kids all over the place and pot luck with a talent show, but isn't this what life is all about?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you have a blog now. Now I can know what is going on in your life (and in your head too!)
I am so glad that you had such a good time at Suzanne's. I hope that I am able to visit them while they are there.
As for me. The base is Kadena Air Base. We do have a yard and we are not connected to another house. They actually have several different types of housing. The single buildings like the one we are in, duplexes (like the one we had in Mo). They also have four-plexes and apartment type buildings as well. I think that we were very fortunate to get the house that we did. I will try to get pictures on my blog soon.
I am glad you made it home safely.
Love Ya!

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you had fun too, Mom! I forgot to tell you that Adam cried when he saw you walking away from the van. And Chandler said 6 weeks is too long for him to wait to see you again. He thinks you should have stayed here for the six weeks and then also for your 2 weeks. =)

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!