Monday, May 11, 2009

Heaven = Popcorn + Coconut Oil + Real Salt

This delicious discovery was made several months ago, but not in Hawaii. My Sister, Sheryl, told me about it and after some searching and sampling, we have all fallen in love! Coconut oil that is extra virgin and organic has a delicate coconut flavor. When heated, it does not harden so it doesn't clog arteries and I've read that some people actually take 2-3 Tablespoons a day for weight loss! (I have learned that it does not contribute to weight gain, at least.)
Since this wonderful find, I have made several batches of home made, whole wheat doughnuts, spread it on toast, sprinkled it on popcorn, and have yet to be disappointed.
It can be used successfully in baking but use about 1/4 C. less per Cup called for.
I have always been one who is not afraid to experiment with food, although I have wished there was a food chemistry class that I could take to help me with substitutions. But in spite of the occasional flop, I have to just keep trying, and learning as I go. (So don't use coconut oil in candy making because having the oil harden is part of what brings it to the hard stages like soft ball to hard crack;)
Anyway, make sure to compare prices because it can be a bit pricey, but it's worth it!

Oh! I almost forgot! Just what IS "Real Salt" ? Sea Salt from the former lake Bonneville that is now reduced to the Great Salt Lake. Underground in southern Utah there are salt mines where the salt is removed and ground without heat or additives and is the richest, most satisfying salt I have ever enjoyed. THAT'S what Real Salt is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This stuff really is good. Thank you for taking it to Missouri so we coul all enjoy it. I really liked it on popcorn. I woner if I could find it out here in Japan.