Friday, May 15, 2009

Herbology and Potions

I just finished a class in medicinal herbology. (My sister, Sheryl, took this class as well and we laughed about long, pointy hats and bubbling cauldrons!) But really, this has been so good for me to do. The only drawback is that when you are trying to learn how to take care of your own health, you have to have health problems in order to use the herbs and get to know them and how they work.
Fortunately, I was able to begin with health concerns that are comparatively minor. I have made and used my own cough syrup, treated infections on my foot and in my mouth and a sunburn around my neck and on my arms successfully, without a doctor or traditional medication.
The principle behind herbal preparations is that when they are used along with fasting, a healthy diet, clean water, exercise, etc., the cause is being addressed rather than just the symptoms.

The recipe for cough syrup is as follows:
1-2 Onions, peeled and chopped
Honey, enough to cover the onion to about 1/2" over
Opt., Licorice Root powder, about 3-4 T.

Place all ingredients into a double boiler. Heat the water under the double boiler till hot, not boiling, and keep it hot. Let the mixture sit over the hot water for 5-6 hours. Strain and squeeze out onions with clean hands and discard onion pieces. Store mixture in a dark glass bottle, if possible, and in a cool, dry place. It has a pleasant taste and is completely safe for children.
Take 1-2 T. at a time and as needed to loosen congestion. (This syrup will not suppress the cough but will make coughing more effective in ridding phlegm, and will soothe the throat).
No perscription is necessary and there are no known side effects!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am really glad that you learned/are learning all of that cool stuff. So you are done with your class? What was your final/overall grade?