Sunday, June 21, 2009

In The Shoes of Honorable Men

For decades women have been trying to free themselves from being dominated by men. While equal pay for equal work is only fair, somehow advancing "the cause" has muddled the very essence of womanhood.
Much is taught in church to clear this up but what about the role of men? They have not been ignored. The world has belittled, maligned, and pushed away men as the source of all of women's problems. Even in the schoolyard, "girls rule, boys drool" is an offensive attitude promoted on clothing and in sports, etc., and now manhood, it seems, has become as equally unclear.
As I get ready to teach the Book of Mormon in Seminary, I am reminded of what it means to be a man of valor. Example after example resides within those pages and as I read, my gratitude increases for the righteous men in my life:
First - My own father, who is steadfast and immoveable. I am grateful for my heritage......a long family line of faithful descendants of Abraham and the House of Israel. Thank you, Dad. I love you.
Second - I am blessed to belong to my husband, David. He also comes from the House of Israel and righteous parentage. He has never even once exercised any unrighteous dominion. He teaches me both by example and word and I am grateful. He is a worthy man of valor. I love him, too.
And Third - My children and their husbands who all love the Lord and are committed to the cause of righteousness.

Today being Father's Day, I want to express love and appreciation to my Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, who bought us with a price, for the atonement that makes possible our forever family. And I want to thank the men in our family who set worthy examples for my grandchildren. I am grateful for the love and kindness they show to their families - I love them all for it.
Happy, Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

David Chandler said...

I'm glad you belong WITH me. I love you, too.

Sheryl, Queen of Maranatha said...

I'm thankful for those people in my life too. And for you. You're right up there with them!