Thursday, June 11, 2009

Music hath charms...

About three weeks ago, Sam and Dawn went to a Michael Ballam concert. They both told me how incredible the concert was and that he didn't just sing but he taught about how music can increase our ability to learn, to think more clearly, to accomplish more and even to heal our minds and bodies. After these conversations I wanted to do something with this information but I still didn't have enough to know just what.
Well, when I went to Utah I took a few minutes to do a little shopping at Seagull Books and I looked for some Michael Ballam music to see what this man ,who plays Satan in one of the temple movies, sounded like. I found several different albums but then I came across a 4 disc set that was quite a bargain so I bought it. When I actually started listening to it I found out why it was so cheap; it is mostly talk. Both Sam and Dawn told me that his concert was educational and not just entertaining and these four discs contain five hours of him teaching about how music blesses our lives if it is good quality music. He has a Doctorate in music and teaches at a university in Utah and I feel like I have been blessed to be able to take a 6 session class from him for less than $20! And after listening to about three hours, I know I want to listen again with pen in hand to take notes.

Some of what I remember is how beneficial taking a musical instrument is in elementary school. He explained that it has been discovered that one side of the brain is the methodical, or mathematical and the other side is the creative, or artistic side. He said that playing a musical instrument, or singing utilizes both sides of the brain in tandem and that this effect will continue if done regularly. For increased learning capacity he cited studies that prove Baroque to be the music of choice; this would include Bach and Mozart.

As an example, he used Albert Einstein. He told us how he was almost written off by his teachers who said he just wasn't smart. But his mother bought him a violin and this made all the difference because the act of playing an instrument helped his brain's two hemespheres to work together, taking his creative thoughts and putting them in workable order.

Dr. Ballam also taught about how listening to music can be healing and has been used to help abused children. Brahms is best for emotional trauma. I am looking forward to learning about physical recovery/maintenance, but for now, I have been listening to a classical relaxation album that includes Mozart and Bach this morning and I am anxious to get on a regular schedule of flute playing.

No comments: