Saturday, June 6, 2009

Thanks To Prayer

I would like to say that our drive to Utah was quick and uneventful, but this would be an untruth. We were on the road for only about 3 hours when I thought I detected a flat tire. I pulled over and Mark got everything out of the trunk; stroller, suitcases, stuff for Dawn, etc., and the spare tire and tools. He took off the lug nuts and proceeded to remove the tire, or rather, attempted to remove it! He worked on it for well over an hour (I couldn't make it budge!) but it was literally immovable. It was as though the bolts were still on. We called David because we couldn't find the user's manual, but then we found it in the trunk, to no avail. We called Dawn to see if they could find out anything from anyone they knew, and we called Suzanne because it was 3 hours earlier in Hawaii and she gave us the numbers of dealerships we might find still open in hopes of getting some advice from them, but they were already gone.
Finally, a Highway Patrolman pulled over and he suggested that perhaps, if the tire had never been changed, maybe it had corroded behind the tire which would adhere it so Mark lowered the car and they rocked it. As they did this I saw the tire literally break loose! After that, Mark changed the tire with no problem and we were out of there!
The rest of the trip was somewhat tiring and we ended up pulling over and sleeping for a couple of hours. The trip took us 16 hours all together, but we made it. Things are going well here. We have organized an entire room and we hope to do a bedroom and bathroom today. We'll see.

Oh! There is a Post Script - When we showed the tire to a repair guy he said, "Boy, I bet that was scary!", and when I told him how there had been no problem he said, "Well, someone was certainly looking out for you."

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you made it there safely! What a crazy experience, huh?

Unknown said...

I am glad you made it safely too! I don't envy you. I have had many tire troubles in my life, not fun.